Curly wrote:
 I found this one of...

Give us the dummy version of what this means?  Is this a native
festival of new season, or whatever?  What is the interpretation or
meaning of the moves, the different dress, the different dance, etc.
Yada, yada - I guess we could do the search, but you were there and
know this stuff.
Thanks.
mao

The Merrie Monarch Festival is an Hula annual contest in Hilo. In the world of Hula, it is the olympics. The winners are the best of the best.
http://www.merriemonarch.com/the-festival
There will be live streaming from http://www.merriemonarch.com/live-streaming tonight at 11 PM central. This will be Hula 'auana and awards. The finalé for 2016.

I would define hula as storytelling. Most people in the US have heard the song: "I wanna go back to my little grass shack in Kealakekua Hawaii" There is a hula that accompanies this song that tells the story in movements. Every hula tells a story.

There are different types of hula

Hula Kahiko is the ancient form, and includes men's hula which is often preparation for war, telling the story of victories, or a means of intimidating a opposing force. As such, the men's kahiko may be aggressive, loud and intimidating. Other types of kahiko are generally telling the story and history of the land, the people and the customs. Accompaniment is with traditional instruments such as the ipu and Kala'au (sticks)
http://www.staradvertiser.com/breaking-news/kahiko-takes-the-stage-at-merrie-monarch-fesitval/

Hula 'auana is the modern hula and is what you think of related to movies, advertisements for tour companies and the like; the stereotypical hula. The accompaniment is generally western instruments such as ukulele, guitar and bass.

This website tells a few of the basic moves.
http://www.alohafriends.com/hulamoves.html

This site defines movements but does not help much with interpretation.
http://www.huladancehq.com/hula-dance-steps-in-depth.html

This video does a good job of defining hula
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwbnuANCDe4&ebc=ANyPxKpH66sq1D-D-CfUfT8dGE0_XMh3RY05yWLQKNahHaOSt3g-V60yfRj-qgPxVJd3OfjpkOu1Qv5S_-1zeCP2C1TsCJkVUg

As usual wikipedia knows all:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hula

You don't have to understand the Hawaiian language. I don't know more than a few words. I enjoy Hawaiian music as well as hapa-haole music, and I enjoy the Hula. I am more drawn to the Hula Kahiko.