Engine off.  Compare the amount of force required to turn the fan, cold engine
vs really hot engine (need to read service manual to find the fan engagement
temperature).  Should be a higher force, should be noticeable increase in air
flow noise with engine running.

Not very scientific, but will help identify a totally dead clutch.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC