David Brodbeck wrote:

No, you're wrong.  In our current system, health insurance *is* the
responsibility of employers.

Bull. That's why it's referred to as a "benefit". It's a perk; a plus; a bonus.

I think it's important to have a safety net for people who are unable to
find work, or who are disabled.  Especially when economists tell us a
certain amount of unemployment and "worker insecurity" is necessary to
keep inflation low.

Agreed....albeit under much more stringent requirements. I live near south dallas, and can personally attest (would you like photos sometime?) to the amount of newer, much-nicer vehicles than my own filling the parking lots of various section 8/project housing developments.

You know, I've often heard Rush Limbaugh and his ilk spouting about
welfare queens who drive Cadillacs, etc., but I've never met anyone like
that -- nor have I ever talked to anyone who had.  I think this is just
another one of those stories people make up to support their positions.
Even if there are a few people like that out there, the vast majority
of peope on welfare seem to be barely making it from month to month,
having to frequently choose between eating and keeping the lights on.

You really should visit south Dallas sometime...I could change your mind in 30 seconds.

p.