Rick,
My wife has been packing and shipping antiques for almost 2 decades. The
problem is that during the holidays, temps get hired who aren't properly
trained or just don't care. Packages aren't handled as gently and respectfully
as they used to be. My wife foam, bubble wraps, double boxes with more peanuts,
etc. and stuff still gets broken. If someone drops a big box on a small box
containing a glass item, guess who wins. No amount of insurance or anything
else can prevent breakage. There are certain parts of the country where extra,
extra packing is required and then cross your fingers and hope for the best. In
our experience UPS is no better than USPS. But UPS is generally more expensive
than USPS.
Best Wishes,
Roger
Roger Hale