It's rough being Overqualified.
When I was in my late 20's i decided to go back to college. I sold everything farm and all and figured I'd have no trouble getting a min wage job to cover the bare expenses....BZZZT WRONG! Eveerywhere I went, overqualified, I had made too much money. Nobody would hire anyone who was used to making a bunch of cash because they figure that you will jump on the first job that comes along in your past field and leave them high and dry. Even when I did explain that i was going nowhere for at least 5 more years. They would rather hire a kid straight out of high school than a person who has been successful and even successfully run their own business.

I wound up working in a day care center for a few years for min wage, and while i absoloutly love children, working in one of those places ...with no health insurance provided, is darn near suicide. Even though people are not supposed to bring children in sick, they always do ( and they drop them off on the fly and magically can't be reached until 5:00 )so if you work in those places, you are sick all the time just like the kids( nothing like being 29 with chicken pox...ouch ). After looking back at it, I figure I made enough working there to pay the doctor bills and buy some food.

The only way to get a low wage job if you have any kind of overqualification is to lie about it. Leave a 6 year blank on your resume and tell them you've been on a bender and just got out of rehab. You'll get hired in a heartbeat.

---------Robert

Jim Cathey wrote:
But I didn't worry, I had skills, and certifications, and schooling. I
would venture forth and find me work. A week turned to three, then
seven, then 3 months.

This ASIC engineer has been out of work since May.  No sign
of hiring in my field, or in related ones I'm probably still
qualified in.  One complication: I will not relocate to some
wretched hell-on-earth like Silicon Valley.  We have acreage,
something you cannot find in a whole lot of places.  _This_
is where we are going to raise our son.

Pity to hear about Iffy Lube being so picky, I was holding
that prospect in reserve.  I have yet to 'date outside my
species', I suppose I had thought that option always to
be there.  I hope I don't find out otherwise!

-- Jim