On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 19:06:14 -0800 Jim Cathey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Ah yes - thin net (ethernet over coax cable) was bus topology.
> > However, the "Easy to troubleshoot if wiring problems arise." does not
> > match my experience - any error anywhere on the bus would bring down
> > the entire network. You had to go to each node to find the problem.
> > Proper termination was essential!
>
> It was, and troubleshooting was no harder than having an extra
> terminator in hand and conducting a binary search.  But the easiest
> way was to backtrack off of 'what have you done to me lately?'
> Faults only took down the one leg from the hub, which was usually
> only a dozen or so nodes.  Taught people to be careful, it did, and
> that topology was great for labs.  Trivial to add more equipment.

Ah, yes, 10-base2. We used it at HP in Colorado Springs in the late '80s.
Had one office worker who wanted to move her computer and, instead of
removing the BNC Tee from the back and leaving the two cables connected,
removed both cables. The guys in my (engineering) group running a diskless
cluster were not amused.

Craig