Mercedes-Benz: SL-Class 450SL

This was an interesting sale.  The winning bidder made a cheater deal with the
owner of the 1974 SL I was selling on CL.  He had contacted me in March to take
a look at the above car, but flaked.  Last week he shows up at my Indy claiming
to not know me and that he had been keeping an eye on the cars in the parking
lot and wanted to see the above car.  Probably full of shite, as he lives and
works 30 miles away and has little reason to drive past my indy.  Screwed me
out of a commission.  The shop called me to make sure I did not know the guy,
and I did not recall the name, but checked email and found the old mail.  Sale
price was too close to bottom line to get any cash in my pocket.  I was told he
would be coming by to pay for the car May 2nd.  I did a late night re-list of
the car at $1k less than the latest asking price to see if I could snipe the
sale and get some pocket change.  Dude showed up the NEXT day and paid for the
1974.

So, the 1977 was put on Fleabay last Sunday because it was getting no interest.
 Original posting on CL was as a project/parts car at $1700 because it had not
run in five years and parked out in the elements all that time.  The guy who
bought the 74 contacted me in early March, when the '77 was listed as parts.
Indy asked what the '77 would fetch if it ran.  I said twice what a parts car
would.  I was in the middle of cleaning the moss off and giving it a waxing.
When I left the car ran and drove well enough, so I posted it for $4k on CL in
late March.

The winning bidder just signed up on Fleabay this week and now has the chance
to buy the 1977 SL for more than I was asking.  What an IDIOT!  He has to make
a $800 deposit or I am going to offer it to the back up bidder who took it past
$4k on his bids.

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers