Why is this a big surprise? My Jetta has 270,000 miles and is still going
strong. Other than the sheet metal a Beatle and a Jetta are the same car...
Loads of TDIs go over 400,000 miles.
-Curt

      From: Curly McLain via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
 To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Curly McLain <126die...@gmail.com>
 Sent: Monday, May 9, 2016 8:01 AM
 Subject: [MBZ] vw dissel

A report from the field from SWMBO:

"Remember one time early on when I started to work for the LA dept
one of the students had a new VW bug...one of the new models?  Up
until that time she drove her mom's old model MB although I do not
think I knew her very well at that point.  Anyway she graduated in
2001 or 2002. Before she graduated she gave me a ride in her new bug
with the moon roof etc. because I told her I liked it.  Well she
posted a photo of her odometer and it now has 250,000 miles on it.
She said she and her parents went for a test drive in it 15 years ago
and it had 11 miles on it.  She still loves the car.  I also
remember it was a diesel and I had a diesel in the design parking
lot."

So it seems at least one new beetle Diesel has covered 250k and the
owner is still happy.