> Andrew wrote:
>
> I ... came across a used W123 starter motor I had all but
> forgotten about.  is there a way to bench test it before
> installing it?

Not really.

Or sort of.

You can use jumper cables to connect it to a battery and see
if the solenoid kicks the bendix drive out and if the motor
spins.  (hold it tight while you do this, it jumps a bit as
it fires up.  I usually stand on it on the ground)

But I know of no way to test if it's going to require
thumping the solenoid to get the car started, or if it's worn
enough it drags when hot, or if the bendix will always
engage.  And I tried.  Again and again.

In the last year or so, I've monkeyed with parts an pieces
from about 5 starter trying to get a dependable working on.
And none of the out-of-the-car testing I could device was of
any real value beyond determining it spins, the solenoid
operates, and there isn't a field winding shorted to the case
(very easy to do)

I got really good at changing the starter on a OM616...