You shouldn't need to restore back to the drives, but it is *always*
advisable to perform a backup before making any change. Just in case.
However, once the drive is formatted and "blessed" to boot your system. It
will boot regardless of where you put it (provided the hardware supports
it, some earlier systems simply didn't allow boot from USB since USB 1.0
was too slow.)

So can you take the drive from the external case and boot from internal?
Yes. That should work great, as long as that drive boots from external.
Macs have always been good about finding boot volumes anywhere in its chain
of drives. Windows, even though NT kernel has nothing to do with DOS, still
have that DOS mentality of "I only have one boot volume." by default.
(Although modern Windows is a little more forgiving, and can boot through
drive moves, it can't boot from six different volumes at the same time like
Mac and Linux can.)

*Well, not simultaneously, obviously, but the UNIX systems are a lot more
tolerant of where its boot files are, as long as you can properly tell them
*where* to find them. Plus Macs set their boot drives in the firmware, not
on the MBR of the hard drive itself so you can say I want to boot from
drive 1 right now, and that lasts through a power off, then you can say no,
now boot from drive 3, and that becomes the persistent volume.

EdB

On Mon, May 16, 2016 at 11:57 PM, Curly McLain via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> if I get el crap (and postbox)  working as desired on the external USB
> drive, I would assume at some point I can take that drive out of the case
> and put it in the MBP, then take the 10.6.8 drive out of the MBP and put it
> in the case, and everything should work.  Anyone BTDT?
>
> Will that work or do I need to back up both on time mosheen, then restore
> each in the new place after the swap is made?
>
> TIA....  The adventure begins.
>
> Poor old Eudora Welty will fade into Oblivion..

"Das beste oder nichts." - *Gottlieb Daimler*