What Rick Said (+1) If it runs on all five, FILL and burp the tank, SECURE the coolant cap, and go for another drive.

THey DO NOT like to be run with a bad cap, and with the cap off, you puked out a lot od coolant before the temp went up.

BAD Martha!

Dan inquires:

I had not secured the radiator cap with the intent that if there were cooling system problems I would avoid pressurizing the system. Coolant is burping out of the overflow. > When it settles down I see it's down a ways, so I add nearly a gallon of water.

Most likely there were no cooling system problems.

Oops. I learned from experience, never, ever leave a coolant cap loose on an OM602. One of mine had a slow leak (fuel heater) and I left the cap loose, thinking that avoiding pressure build up would slow the leak. I severely overheated the engine (wasn't paying attention)
and smoked the head gasket.

Cracked head?

Not likely. They are very robust.

Bad head gasket?

It probably is now. You will know when you start it. When a five cylinder has a miss it is distinct. If in doubt, crack open injector lines one at a time, and see if the idle drops. (same as pulling plug wire on a gasser)

If it runs on all five, SECURE the coolant cap, and go for another drive.

Good luck, and keep the updates coming.

Rick