You can’t put a newer 64 bit system on the MP 1,1 because it only has 32 bit
EFI.  There is a workaround that is really simple, even more so if you already
have a machine running a later 64 bit system.  It’s simple as pie and only
takes maybe 30 minutes to do.

Read these threads on the MR forum:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2006-2007-mac-pro-1-1-2-1-and-os-x-el-capitan.1890435/

<http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2006-2007-mac-pro-1-1-2-1-and-os-x-el-capitan.1890435/>

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/06-07-mac-pro-1-1-2-1-and-os-x-el-capitan.1922266/

<http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/06-07-mac-pro-1-1-2-1-and-os-x-el-capitan.1922266/>

If you have any questions or problems let me know.  I ran a MP 1,1 on later
operating systems for several years using these bootloaders.  Once you get past
the EFI the machines have no problems at all, since they’re 64 bit systems
anyway.  It’s a wonderful thing, as it breathes life into otherwise legacy
hardware that could easily be running current OS’ if Apple would bother
rewriting the firmware for them.

Dan