Today I went and bought another bolt that was too short but in a flash of
inspiration I realized the original bolt I'd bought would work if I just used
it upside down... DUH! So the bolt runs up to the nut instead of the other way.
Pentosin should get an award for poor packaging. Theres no instructions and I
spilled about an ounce of the stuff just opening the cap which is a pull and
then twist, not just a twist. It also pours really slowly and it took most of a
liter to refill the PS reservoir.
I'd pulled the horn on Sunday, its dead, I ordered another which should be here
tomorrow, fixmyvw.com with a real, made to fit for the same price as a generic.
While I was at it I checked the oil (low), tires (3 high, one low, its warm
today) and spent some quality time with Houdini lock lube and the trunk lock. I
got some brown crud out on the key, I kept spraying the lock and wiping the key
until the crud quit coming out. I should probably repeat in a week or two and
see if it stays working.
Anyway, back on the road, actual price of repair is around $30 for the $23/l of
Pentosin and a bolt/nut/lockwasher. I used stainless so hopefully it'll be easy
to remove if needed.
-Curt