Curt Raymond wrote:
On the way to work this morning in heavy stop and go traffic the temp gauge on
the 190D dropped to 60C. Heater output dropped correspondingly.
  Seems to me like I've got a sticky thermostat. That stinks, its a new
thermostat last month. What kind of stuff could make a thermostat stick open?
I've had 'em stick closed when using bars leaks and stuff but never had one
stick open...
  I'll have my Indy change coolant when he does the thermostat this time.

Aftermarket thermostats have a poor history of out of the box failures. Factory thermostats are about twice as good, but bad ones are still not uncommon (maybe 5-10%).

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi