EYEWITNESSES:

DALLAS, July 8 (UPI) -- Hundreds of people who turned out to protest two fatal
shootings involving police officers instead became witnesses to more violence
as a gunman fired into the crowd, killing five officers.

Seven other police officers were injured as onlookers scrambled for cover.

"I didn't see anybody else get shot, just the cops. I saw cops getting shot,
right there in plain sight," Cortney Washington told NBC Dallas-Fort Worth.

"While we was running, like, they just kept shooting," Washington said. "We
didn't know where it was coming from."

Another witness told MSNBC: "We heard shots, we smelled gunpowder, and that's
when everything got really intense and surreal," the man said. "We just started
to run and grab kids."

Renee Sifflet told The Dallas Morning News she took her three teenage children
to the rally "for a positive experience, something they could say they were
part of when they're older."

"Then it turned negative," Sifflet said.

Witness Carlos Harris told the News the gunfire was "strategic. It was
tap-tap-pause. Tap-tap-pause."

Ismael Dejesus was in his downtown Dallas hotel room when he heard "popping
sounds." He went to the balcony to see what was going on.

"I thought it was fireworks," he told CNN's Don Lemon.

He then described how he saw a gunman get out of a Chevy Tahoe SUV wearing
tactical clothing.

"Man had a rifle, AR-15, clear as day. Pretty big magazine.

"He had multiple pockets, he had three to four pockets in front of his pants.
He definitely looked like he was wearing something in his shirt.

"He got out of there, walked over to the pillar, put a magazine in and started
firing.

"It did look planned. He knew where to stand. He had ammo ready. They weren't
short mags. They were high-capacity magazines."

Dejesus believes the shooter was deliberately trying to draw police near by
spraying bullets to the left and right.

"He was trying to get a commotion going, trying to get cops' attention."

When one officer attempts to engage the shooter one-on-one, he was killed by
multiple shots fired at point blank range.

Dejesus said that it "looked like an execution." He noted how the gunman stood
over the police officer "after he was already down and shot him three or four
more times in the back. It was very disturbing to watch.

"He shot without any fear. He didn't care."

Michael Kevin Bautista, who was taking part in the Black Lives Matter protest
in Dallas on Thursday evening, streamed video of the shootout between the
gunmen and police officers on Facebook Live.

In the three-minute footage, several officers can be seen exchanging fire with
the gunmen.

"They're shooting right now. And there's an officer down," he says in the
video. "It's coming from the right over there, from around these buildings."

Bautista identified the location as the intersection of Main Street and Lamar
Street. The footage shows the officers advancing toward the direction of the
gunshots.

"They're moving in on somebody," Bautista said. "I think they might have got
somebody."

Another witness tweeted a video as she saw the carnage from her apartment.

One woman told {link:NBC Dallas Fort Worth:
"http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/dallas-police-ambush/all-sudden-you-ve-seen-them-just-fall-witnesses-recount-n605721";
 target="_blank"}: "We were leaving, and when we turned, there was cops. They
were patrolling. Then, all of a sudden, you've seen them just fall."

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2016/07/08/Witnesses-to-Dallas-horror-They-just-kept-shooting/8011467983012/?spt=hrs&or=2

Meade Dillon via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> Story says the one suspect was cornered / trapped and police were
> negotiating, but the negotiations failed and a robot was used to get a bomb
> to the suspect and detonate the bomb to kill the suspect.  WTF?  Why not
> keep him cornered and wait him out?  I guess I need to keep reading.
> Certainly this suspect would probably have been executed by the state after
> a jury trial after he surrendered, so the end may be the same, but who
> authorized and why did they authorize killing the suspect with no trial?
> Hello, we have this old piece of paper called the Constitution and another
> called the Bill of Right?  I believe the second one has something to say
> about due process?
>
> -------------
> Max
> Charleston SC
>
> On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 10:20 AM, Joel Cairo via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> > "Two of the suspects were taken into custody after fleeing the scene in a
> > black Mercedes. An officer saw one of the pair hurriedly putting a
> > camouflage bag in the back of the car before driving off 'at a high rate of
> > speed'."
> >
> > Leaving aside the malapropism "high rate of speed" (which would be an
> > "acceleration") this association is disturbing.
> >

> > http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3680097/Protests-sweep-nation-thousands-demand-justice-Alton-Sterling-Philando-Castile-black-men-shot-dead-police.html#ixzz4DnLcahCK

---