I'm not sure how FIOS (Verizon's fiber-based service) is provisioned to the house, if you actually have a fiber drop at your interface or what, but "fiber running down the street" might be the trunk line that goes into the switch in your area, from there it goes out copper to your house, and depending on how far you are from the switch it might not be possible to get DSL (or Uverse VOIP/intertubes). I have a switch just a coupla hundred yards from the (copper) terminal on the road at the end of the driveway, then maybe 1000ft of copper to the house from that. There is a fiber line running along the road too but it does not go to houses.

I got Uverse a coupla years ago for phone and intertubes, had one modem fail which they fixed and then tried to charge me for. I got the "introductory" rate which they tried to jack up by 50% last year, I threatened to quit so they reinstituted the rate again. It's all a racket no matter which you get.

When the zombie apocalypse or the Sword of Allah falls I think your friends might be Mr. Browning, Ruger, Smitth, Wesson, etc. rather than AT&T. And CB raddiddios (stored in a metal can) good buddy.

--JC