I had this conversation with my son a coupla weeks ago as we were passing a house with a "Box" with a blue metalflake paint job on blocks out behind it, I had seen it there for quite some time with the big chrome rims, etc. then recently on blocks. I supposed that the rim store had come and repoed them when the guy couldn't keep up with payments (you can get them on credit, just make a monthly payment, rent to "own"). So I asked him why he thought this particular trend was popular in a certain demographic, if it was a personal satisfaction thing, to show off to his buddies, or to appear to be more attractive to the ladies.

He believed quite sincerely that it was to be more attractive to the ladies. A car with big rims was the key, not a job, education, nice house, etc. I don't know but it sorta made sense, and he is probably more in tune with it than I am.

--JC