'Reminds me: In early '41, 2 or 3 months before I turned 7, I walked several blocks with my first grade class from school to see a movie (my first) in the little town's only theater. When the newsreel started with the locomotive "rushing out of" the screen, I jumped with fright and started crying. 'Spent rest of the outing with the owner in her big , black Buick. 'Don't think I even saw the movie or got my dime back.

Wilton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Cathey via Mercedes" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: "Jim Cathey" <jim.cathey...@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 12:13 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] OT eviction

Why is it called a "stereo"type and not a "mono"type?  One tries to make
all out to be like one thing ("mono"), not two things ("stereo").

Stereos is Greek for "solid".  In this case, it derives literally the
type one used when putting a little picture of whatsis into a dictionary.

IMHO all current English uses are more marketing hype than truth.
The best use refers to stereo photography, where the two separate
views make whatever _appear_ to be solid.  (Your "two" only comes
from the number of eyes and ears we have.  Besides, in the printing
industry Monotype was already in use as a brand.)  That picture of
a tree isn't solid in any way, any more than stereophonic recordings
are.

So, solid in the sense that the early movie of a train rushing
at the camera made people dive out of their seats.  Basically just
a lot more realistic than whatever came before.

Pedantically yours,

-- Jim