Gerry,
If the clutch plate is stuck to the fly wheel try jacking the back end up
enough to get the tires off the ground.  Start the engine with the car in gear
and step on the brakes.   (I had to do this more than once with an old Chevy
truck.)

I wonder if the pressure plate is failing since there was a problem  before the
vehicle was parked.

Richard Murdoch
82 240D
82 300TDt