Yup, you had 2 major symptoms.  change in ride and loss of oel.

Waytago! Glad ya changed em! I never liked having to buy 2 new ones, but the improvement always made the cost justified.

MG via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
September 8, 2016 at 11:22 AM
So for a couple of months or more I've been noticing that the rear end of my 83 300TD has been going up and down a bit more then normal when going over bumps. Not too bad but kind of like when the shocks are not too new any more and may need replacing.

About three weeks ago I noticed that the oil in the SLS tank was a little lower then half way so I put in enough to fill to Max and checked for leaks, of which there were none, so I said good to go.

Last week I checked the oil in the SLS tank again and found it down to Min or a bit below. No leaks. I dithered a while and on the 5th I ordered new accumulators from Parts Geek. They got here yesterday. Not bad shipping time.

Today I got under there and put a hose on the bleeder and let the oil out. WOW! So much gas in it that at first it looked like oil with water it was that white. About 3/4 of a quart later it stopped.

Changed the accumulators and checked the old ones. IF one was to go by the old way of checking by just pushing a little wood dowel into the hole and see where the plug in there is one would assume that everything was good as the plug was right there about an inch or so in. Just like the new ones. Not satisfied I took a steel flatface punch that fit into the hole and pushed down on the plug. Don't do that at home. I almost got a face full of oil that squirted out of there. In other words there was still enough pressure in the gas bag to push oil out with an opening force of less then 75lbs or so that I was applying to the plug. So while they were still working, sort of, with the help of all the gas that had leaked out into the lines and struts, they were well on their way out.

On the new ones BTW I could not move the plug at all by pushing on it. Makes sense since there is somewhere around 400lbs or more of pressure in there.

I guess this confirms that if you have to suddenly put a lot of oil into the SLS tank without seeing any signs of a leak then you might want to check what the oil looks like coming out of the bleeder on the leveling valve. If it has a lot of foam then send for new accumulators because the ones you have in there are bad.

Manfred