Daughter had a Ford mommy wagon about that time and that many miles which blew
a transmission, and I read something about those transmissions being a problem,
so it might be good to consider a replacement as Mitch suggests.

Then my daughter bought a Toyota mommy wagon and finally sold it because the
dealer could never get the sliding door fixed.
She's had a GL320cdi for the last 8-10 years and loves it in spite of numerous
repairs; part or most of which was probably due to a dishonest dealer. (She
sued the dealer for the last attempted dishonesty of $15,000 and got full
restitution. Lawyer cost her $1500.)

Donald Snook wrote:
> Mitch wrote:  "100,000 mile spark plugs that want to take the threads with
> them when you finally remove them?
> Or was that a different engine?"
>
> Rick wrote:
>
> "Google Ford 5.4 Spark Plug removal."
>
> Peter wrote:
>
> "Check the tranny.  If it hasn't been rebuilt it's due."
>

> Thanks for the info.  I knew about the ignition coil issues on the 5.4L.
> But, I didn't know about seized plugs.  It seems like just about all vehicles
> with ignition coils will need them replaced at some point at least once they
> get enough miles on them.  My thinking on it is it is a trade off compared
> with replacing plugs, wires, distributor caps, etc. like we all used to have
> to do every 15-30,000 miles on older cars.   I am wondering how to check
> this.  I guess I could bring some tools and try to try to remove one of the
> plugs.  And/or see if the seller has service records showing the plugs were
> replaced already.  Hopefully with 180K they are not original.  Even if they
> were changed at 100,000 miles, they would need to be done soon.  But, that's
> not a huge issue.    Now, Peter's warning about the transmission has me
> concerned.  I didn't know these had transmission issues.
>
> I had a 2001 Expedition previously and it was a great vehicle.  In fact, my
> wife pretty much claimed it when I brought it home.  It had almost 180,000
> miles on it when I sold it.  I never had any problems with it, except I had
> to replace the fuel pump.   I learned later the fuel pump was a weakness on
> these vehicles and my wife was bad about running it pretty low.
>
> Don Snook
> 2001 BMW 740iL M Sport 131K miles (for sale soon)
> 2000 BMW 740iL 227K
> 1992 Ford F-150 148K (possibly for sale soon)

---