sounds like it blew the head gasket, not unheard of on the 2.5 turbo. Or, might be a bad delivery valve seal or something.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi Werner -
Bad news I was going to go to the Post Office - it started instantly - as usual, backed out, put it in D and it went to 1000 or 1500 rpm & then started running rough with white smoke from the exhaust! The more gas I tried to give, te more white smoke - Idled back to into the driveway and pondered what I'd done - vacuumed, tightened the coolant cap - that's all I did in the engine compartment. Guess I'll look for any loose wires or hoses --
What was the outcome of

Any ideas? Could 3 or 4 GPs have gone bad? It warmed partly up to 50 or 60C at most but it kept doing the same thing. Turned it off, waited a few seconds and restarted it - didn't help -

I'm confused! But MAN am I glad my wife didn't drive it to work and have this happen! I'd never hear the end of it.

I know a lot about diesel engines, I rebuilt my 240D engine from the block up - basically they need fuel and air - I'm thinking I should change the fuel filters 1st - maybe I got bad gas ? Although I bought fuel at the same place for my 240D without a problem. I checked the air filter yesterday and it looked clean.

Any ideas? How can it run so perfectly one day and like crap the next? We put close to a hundred miles on it yesterday (Monday) and it never missed a beat. The tank had been filled up 2 days before - on Saturday. It ran absolutely like a brand new car since we picked it up on Saturday -

This is what scared me away from gas engines --
Guess I'll take the 240D to the Post Office.

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 91 300D Turbo, 78 240D)
A Blood Test for your oil - www.youroil.net
For Test Results http://members.rennlist.com/oil
Weber Carb Stuff http://members.rennlist.com/webercarbs
http://members.rennlist.com/my_911/Index.htm For my Paint Job Info