Some years ago I chucked a piece of seasoned Osage Orange wood in a metal
lathe and machined both a nut and bolt 1 inch diameter X 10 inch long, with
threads, just to see if it could be done and make a "desk display piece".

The wood had such a tight grain that it machined nicely, both external
threads on the bolt and internal threads on the nut. I gave it to my Dad
and customers would always pick it up and run the nut up and down the bolt.
Over the 20 years it was on his desk, I would guess at least 2,000
customers did that.. It's now gone somewhere, I surmise it's still working,
for who ever has it.