Most Americans today literally have no idea about war and its cost to the
participants.  Any aircraft loss today is national news.  My dad flew P-47s
in China during WWII;  at his funeral I learned he was the only member if
his cadet class to survive the war.
We are surrounded by faint-hearted Americans who feel everything should be
free and that their choices and actions should have no consequences.  I have
to say the ISIS folks have a more realistic world view.