Just as the subject line says, TIMING IS EVERYTHING! I took the valve cover off this little 220D today and checked things over. It appears that the TIMING is far from perfect right now. There are points in the engine revolution where the chain can be lifted away from the cam sprocket anywhere from 1/4 to about 1/2 of an inch. For some reason, this doesn't seem normal to me. I think that this engine is in need of a new chain. However, I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on this engine if it's warn out. Any suggestions on what I should do would be appreciated!

Kevin in Hillsboro Oregon
1973 220D project? Parts car? Junker?