The car had Bundt wheels and lugs.... I picked up the 15 slot, 126 wheels
and trial fitted them... the Bundt wheel lugs were short, only engaged 2
threads,  did the research and found the later style wheels require longer
lug bolts..

So, definitely, there is a "long and a short"...

Also, Mercedes uses a rather unique "ball" seating / centering design which
really imparts a lot of energy into the grip action.. I would strongly
suggest that factory torque values be used, only.

The rest of the automotive world uses  taper forcing cone design, which in
my humble opinion is much less than the superior Mercedes design.