Larry -
Yes, the proper level for the oil is below the max mark, probably about 1/2 to 3/4 way between the top and bottom marks. Take Marshall's advice, though, and look at the level after the car engine has been off for several hours - the Mobil1 does stick to internal engine parts, and does take some time to flow to the sump!

As for tex vs. leather, a clue is found in the code for the interior - usually, a 1xx number is MB-tex, and a 2xx number is leather. You can check out all the codes in the build sheet (available from MBUSA or the dealer, if it isn't with the car documents), and also should be on the metal plate in front of the radiator (at least the exterior color is embossed there). The codes were listed sometime back by Dan Landiss, and I think I can find the link if you don't have it.

Werner

To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2006 4:38 PM
Subject: [MBZ] Leather Vs MB-Tex and Proper Oil Level

Hello all -
Well, I changed my oil - used the topsider to suck it all out and also
changed the fuel prefilter. It runs better already - but that's probably my
imagination since I'm a big fan of the Mobil 1 I put in. ;-)

Now, my question - did I read that it;s best to keep the oil level at
between the upper & lower marks instead of at the top mark?  Now, I have
mine about 3/4 of the way up, between the upper and lower marks.

Sound OK -

Next, I know how to tell the difference between Tex and Leather if I can
look under the material - so far I haven't found a place where I can look -
is there any other way to tell the difference?
TIA -

Sincerely,
Larry T ('74 911, '67 MGB, 91 300D Turbo)