Changing the SL500 transmission fluid and filter tonight, ran into a possible
snag.  This has stumped me and I don’t want to proceed until I’m sure it’s safe…

I’ve drained the fluid, removed the pan and filter.

When I pulled the filter, there was a little tab of sorts on the top of it
opposite the suction tube that clipped into a slot in the valve body.

When I opened my OE Mercedes filter box, the filter looks essentially the same,
but the little plastic tab on the new filter doesn’t have any clips, so it just
“hangs” from the suction tube in the valve body.  If I push up on the filter,
the tab indexes right into the slot in the valve body, but there’s nothing that
will hold it in place.

Can this be right?

I’ve looked through Google images and see filters of this type with little
clips on the tab and ones without.

I don’t want to button the transmission up if I’m not satisfied the filter is
going to stay in place.

Can anyone reflect on this?  If necessary, I’m going to go over to the dealer
tomorrow and have them pull another to see if it’s got the clips.

Dan