It’s an acronym the dealers use for a car that’s in the shop waiting on a part.
 If I need a part “VOR’ed”, it means the part has to be brought in from the
depot overnight.

The dealers get dinged for VOR parts so they manage their inventory carefully.
They get an “allowance” of sorts every month for the additional costs related
to these parts that they’re not stocking, so if they exceed it their profit
goes down and MBUSA starts scrutinizing their inventory practices to determine
why they’re not inventorying parts.

The alternative is a “stock” order, which is a collection of parts that are
ordered from the depots and shipped via surface on a regular basis.  Stock
orders have no penalties like overnight orders do and even qualify for better
discounts on the parts themselves as well as shipping costs.  My experience has
been that items ordered as stock usually take 2-3 business days to arrive at
the dealer.

So it’s incumbent on the dealers to know and manage their parts usage and
inventory practices well to maximize profit.  Not only that, if they attempt to
shift the burden of holding inventory to MBUSA by keeping minimal amounts on
hand and VOR’ing a large number of parts on a regular basis, they’ll not only
see reduced profits, they might even be penalized by MBUSA for it.

This is one way you can help to endear yourself (if that’s possible) to your
local dealer.  When you order parts, tell them to put the parts on a stock
order (not that they would VOR them without you asking for it anyway) so it
saves them money, maximizes their profit, and shows you to be a considerate
customer. That way when you really, really need something, they’re more likely
to VOR it for you without a fuss.

Dan