Overheat disaster in ND!  #1 boy took the w140 300SE to work this morning in
-16f temps.  May have had too much water in the system and we think his
radiator was frozen up.  Work is only 3 miles away and he made it half way
there before the top hose blew off the block.    He got the car home eventually
and we have been talking about best short and long term solutions.

I had sent him with a block heater from Gump, expecting he would have installed
it by now.  He has not.    The new hose is on order, and he has a generic hose
from NAPA to last him until then.  He picked up G-05 to fill it up again.

SO, will the old block heater work for him, or should he look for another sort?
  Something like this http://dieselgiant.com/mercedesblockheaterinstall.htm
<http://dieselgiant.com/mercedesblockheaterinstall.htm>  ?  In the meanwhile I
told him to put a blanket over the engine and rad while he has a 100watt bulb
on to at least get the thing to defrost.   He needs to check oil, but probably
should change it to 5-30 for winter driving.  Using 10-40 would be fine the
rest of the year.  He has been using 15-50 due to the 320k miles on the engine,
but that is not going to work with windchill to -60.

Any other solutions you can think of?  Wilton must have a few from surviving
Greenland.

clay

2002 s430 - Victor, a Stately & well tailored chap
1974 450sl -  Frosch - Two tone green
1986 SDL - Polei

retired models-
1976 300D - Blei Vanst - it looks silvery
POS 1987 SDL - Beware Nigerian Scammers