If the glass has bubbles or worse one big bubble and you can see the r-12 like a smooth river in there then it could be that there is not enough refrigerant. Is it cooling or not? If you have a way to get the 12 out of there after you put it in then you can try adding enough to fill the sight glass and see if the cooling improves. If there isn't enough 12 in there the return hose can get real cold and frost up but there still isn't enough flow through the expansion valve to get the air cold in the car. Add to just fill the sight glass. Can upright and go slow.

Manfred

Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2016 21:47:20 -0500
From: Dan Penoff <d...@penoff.com>

The high temp was in the 80s here yesterday?

I got some adapter fittings that would allow me to connect my R134a gauge set
to the R12 system in the 300D.

I fired it up yesterday with just the low side connected, as the high side
fitting is nearly impossible to get to behind the alternator.  I figured even
the low side pressure could give me an idea of what was going on.

Hook up, fire up the car, turn on the ACC and?. I?m seeing a vacuum on the low
side. (head scratch)  I?m seeing refrigerant flow through the sight glass, too,
and the line coming into the receiver/dryer is getting frosty.

So does this mean I have a stuck or restriction at the expansion valve?  That?s
what I?m thinking.

Dan