Karl wrote:

I can get electric shocks from the fenders when I plug mine in,
so use sparingly.

That will only happen _if_there_is_a_SERIOUS_wiring_problem_!!!

Please find and fix it before someone dies.

There should be zero current flow from the block heater to the
block/chassis/body of the car.  And the ground wire should cause
the circuit breaker to trip if there is such a current "leak".

This suggest you have two problems.
  * The ground wire from the service panel is not getting
    connected to the body/chassis/block of the car like it is
    supposed to.  Is the ground pin on the block heater cord
    missing?

  * There is contact between one of the current carrying wires and
    the body/chassis/block of the car

The only reason you can feel a shock is because of BOTH failures.
Possibly a previous owner had a issue with the block heater
tripping the circuit breaker so the ground was disconnected.

Repeating the second line - this is a potentially life threatening
fault. Please don't ignore it!!