another wide variance between my experience and Herr Doktor's. I almost never have a fuse problem, including places from N WI, to the gulf coast, and Hawaii. If a fuse blows, I fix the problem and change the fuse. if there are electric gremlins, i turn the fuses or take them out and check them and put them back in. If they are bad, the pieces fall out when you take them out or you can visibly see they are blown.

Rick Knoble via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
December 21, 2016 at 9:23 AM

They are a bullet shaped fuse, with a copper or lead element that is also the contact surface. They tend to corrode and can cause infuriating intermittent electrical problems. How often to change...? I dunno. I change them out when I get a car. Maybe every 4-5 years? If you live near salt air maybe more often....

Rick