Mitch wrote:

I'm sitting here staring at the stack of chevron treaded
Pirellis that the UPS man brought me yesterday, and thinking
"would I get better braking if I put the non-drive wheels on the
wrong side of the car"? (this is on my FWD Saturn)

Or just mount them "wrong" side out.

The chevron tread pattern moves water to the sides to prevent
hydroplaning, and it increases drive traction on soft surfaces.
I'm guessing that reversing the tires would hamper rain
performance and increase braking performance on soft surfaces.

Hmm...  Maybe.  Is the performance improved because the tip
touches the ground first?  Or because of the direction of the
slope relative to the direction of force?  Some of each?

I don't know.

But the back tires don't contribute much during heavy braking,
though on a slippery surface, there won't be any heavy braking!