Jim Cathey wrote:
That makes sense. A 5 speed turbo would not do much good, would it? When
you clutch and shift (and thus lose RPMs) wouldn't you lose most of the
turbo boost.  I guess that is why we never/rarely see a 5 sp. Turbo.

The boost will come back.  Drivability might be a bit odd with
deadish times after shifting, especially if you're slow, but
the turbo will still do what turbos do best.

The Mercedes turbodiesel engine does NOT mate particularly well with a manual transmission. Before the engine reaches 1600-2000 rpm, the turbo diesel engine produces very modest power and the use of a torque converter with a high stall speed (2200-2400 rpm) allows the engine to develop very high torque at slow ground speed and hence very good acceleration. A manual transmission with clutch doesn't do that so automatics are faster than manual transmissions with those engines. The automatic DOES extract a cost of poorer fuel economy, but much lower emissions.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi