I got there Thurs morning to pick up the car. It started and idled and revved up ok in the parking lot. Very solid car that had been maintained, but sat for the last 2 years (according to seller) It may have sat for 4 or 5 years.
Dash was uncracked.  very quiet and smooth running.  Under 100k miles.

I drove it 3-4 blocks to the gas station to dilute the stale gas. As I turned into the station, it started to miss. I put 10 gal of gas in it, and figured that would straighten it out, or it needed a filter. I let it run in the parking lot a while and it seemed ok. Took off to buy some new tars, and it acted like it ran out of gas. Restarted, repeat. etc. until I got to pep boys. NO filter there. There was a oreally across from the gas station, so I headed there, again running 100' to 100 yards at a time before it died. Made it there to oreally. No filter, but they will have one at 3 pm. So, I waited the 3 hrs. got the filter, thne drove around to find a place I could get the back tires up on a curb so I could crawl under. Changed filter. Had a gas leak. Took it out and tried again. This time, no leak. no improvement.

So I pulled off the air cleaner. discovered the lines out of the fuel distr are 12mm. no 12 mm wrench along... I cracked the fuel line before and after the dealie by the distr. (pressure regulator?) Good flow and good pressure at both places. It seems like there is good clean fuel to the distr. I got it running again, but still missing. Decided to try to get it back to PO or at least to oreally. It missed and sputtered going down the street, then took off like a raped ape for a second or two, it seemed to be running on all 8 cyl. It seemed for a second that it had passed whatever (was causing the problem) and would be ok. Then it died. It would not restart. After several restart tries, I pushed it back so cars could get around and stop at the stop sign.

finally called AAA. while waiting an hour for them, I remembered the 300TE and how it acted when the coil died. It was very similar, and I thought it was fuel starvation. So when the tow truck came, I had him pull it to oreally. No coil for the car there, and none in Fla. I bought a generic coil and put it in. Still no improvement.

I had contacted Dan and he recommended a place for diagnosis. It was about 7 blocks away, so I decided to try getting there. It was now dark. I got it running fairly well, so I thought it might be able to make it to the shop. it was about the same distance to that shop or to the PO. PO said he would not be around Friday. I got a few blocks, and it died in an intersection. I pushed it out of the intersection and kept trying to restart with no luck. I was passed by 4 empty roll offs and 3 empty tow trucks, but none seemed interested in a fare. I finally called for a tow. Then a guy stopped and offered to tow for $40 while the place I called had a $75 hook up charge, So I hired him and cancelled the other guy. I debated taking to the shop or just towing back to the PO. I went ahead and took it to the shop.

Then I had to carry my stuff the mile or so to the closest hotel. Got there, and they said my reservation was for jan22, no rooms, etc (take a hike) The desk guy was the first rude aussie I ever encountered. After 40 min on hold on their 800 number, I noticed the nasty aussie dude was gone and two ladies were at the counter. I went up and explained the problem to them and asked if they could help. It turned out one was the General Manager. She found a room for me.

Over night I was thinking about the situation, and if I should spend money to fix the car or just take it back. I got up early and walked to the shop where the car was before they opened. Explained to the owner what happened, and he said it would cost a min of $105 to diagnose, then it could be a fuel distributor or any number of items.($$$ to $$$$) Before starting the work, I decided to check with Dan. He said he would haul me up to Manfred's. That was a big point of decision. I decided to cut my losses, called the tow truck again, and waited.

When the truck came, I had him haul it up to the PO. I took some pictures to prove to the PO i had returned it. Sat in the dead car and pondered what next. So I called a friend who used to live in the St. Pete area because I figured he might be in FL now. He was but was in far S FL camping on Marco Island. I walked to the end of the block where a little food stand was next to a handrolled cigar factory. I got a pork sanwich and a lime ade. THAT was super! It was a GREAT cuban sandwich. Walked back to the car and was gathering up my stuff for the walk back to the hotel, when the PO drove in. We made peace, I ended up with my money back, and he left. He said it is likely some little stupid thing is causing the problem, and I agree, it probably is some little thing. I think there is a screen somewhere at the engine. It could be that screen is plugged, but without the right tools and testing equip along, it is hard to troubleshoot on the roadside.

I had also tried calling another guy I know who is very good with M116 engines, although 500 miles away. I think he could have helped me diagnose it over the phone. But he was away, dealing with the effects of his deceased son. (that is a horrible thing to have to deal with)

Gathered up my stuff and walked back to the hotel. No reservation this time. NO room....SOS. SO I said I would sit there until there was a cancellation. aAfter an hour or so, the manager came by and she said she'd get me a room. I had to wait maybe another hour until they got a room ready, but I got my room and went to sleep. After a while, I went out to get some food, then crashed for the night.

Dan was kind enough to haul me along up to Manfred's. Manfred and June truly rolled out the southern hospitality. They were most kind.

Manfred was kind enough to haul me to gainesville so I could ride the dog home.

Riding the dog is a trip!

So, no car. With the other obligations I have, I figured out before I went to pick it up, that i'd probably not have time to start on my projects until fall/winter of 2017. So maybe it is ok to not have the car sitting around.