Some of you might remember the other day when I bent the oil pan on the 2005
Golf TDI. I had that replaced and a metal skid plate (common upgrade)
installed.
On my way home from the garage the car made a weird sound and went way down on
power. The loss of power was consistent with "limp home" mode. I restarted the
car and it got better but was still somewhat down on power and now making a
weird wooshing noise. Later that night the CEL (check engine light) came on.
Codes said implausible signal from the MAF (mass air flow) sensor and bad boost
modulation.
The interwebs suggested a boost leak so Saturday I started looking. Found it at
the connection from the turbo to the intercooler. When I loaded the car onto
the tow dolly to take it to the garage I smacked the bottom edge of the bumper
on the dolly which seems to have jogged the clip that holds the pipe. I hate
how low this car is...
I couldn't see how the clip worked so I had to pull off the bumper which is
actually pretty easy. It took a LOT of fiddling but I finally got the how of
the clip and got it all back together. I also took a minute to zip tie the beat
up intercooler duct back into shape.
While I was there I drained maybe 2oz of motor oil out of the pipe to the
intercooler, this is supposed to be normal, what I've found since is the little
puff of black smoke on startup is gone and the car seems a little more
powerful. I think on startup a little of that oil was finding its way into the
engine and the oil was maybe hurting the airflow a little...
Anyway, love these cheap fixes.
-Curt