I don't remember if I mentioned it but the alternator quit in my '98 Jetta on
the way home from work Wednesday.Today I picked up and installed a used one,
PITA job, the engine bay is tight and I think the alternator was probably
original at 279,000 miles. These have an interesting one way clutch that I had
to transfer to the replacement, glad I ordered the tool to remove it...
Anyway when I got it all installed it didn't work, the idiot light was still on
and battery voltage measured around 12.5v. I was pretty defeated at that point.
A little later I had to move the car so I could push some snow (well ice
really) off the driveway, the first time I revved the engine the light went
out...Not to look a gift horse in the mouth I used the car to go over to the
park to walk the dog, idiot light stayed out, heater fan ran, seat heater on.
When I got home I put the meter on with the engine running, 14.8v just like
you'd expect.
Is this something I should have expected? I don't remember going through this
before but its been a few years since I've changed an alternator.
-Curt