If you have solid metal to weld them to and the time and inclination then why not. Should be possible to do it from the top. Weld small spots every couple of inches and use a lot of undercoating from the bottom to seal it.

Don't really know how hard it is though.

Manfred

Jim Cathey via Mercedes wrote:
The muffler fell off last week, and this weekend I got it welded back on.
It broke loose from the front, otherwise the parts left in the intersection
were pretty solid.  I had to break it in half to put it in the trunk, but
it seemed to go back together OK.

While I was under there the appalling state of the floor pans became
self-evident.  New floor pans are on sale at Eckler, I'm wondering just how
hard they are to weld in.  Might buy me a couple of more years on the poor
thing, if it worked.  I'm still well ahead on the financial front for this
car, the budget would support some pans and a tank of gas and a spool of
wire, and a couple of cutoff wheels.

-- Jim