On Feb 27, 2006, at 12:07 PM, Luther Gulseth wrote:

How common is it for the valve stem seals to be a major source of oil burn? My coupe is buring (I'm absolutely positive it's NOT a leak) about 1qt/300mi. The ground under my car at work (assigned parking-same each day) will only have 2-4 tiny drops of oil, the rear underside, bumper, and backend of my coupe are dry and clean. While on my SD (I know it's leaking from the turbo return pipe and braided line) the rear bumper and trunk shows oil splatter. I've read the manual *.pdf's (05-270, 05-235, and 05-250) and it seems to be an easy job and the parts are less than $25 from Rusty. Any thoughts on this? TIA all,

--
Luther KB5QHU

You will need to employ some method of keeping the valves from falling into the engine. Constant air pressure is the best way to accomplish this. I would do a little diagnostic work before throwing parts at it in hopes of solving a problem. There are so many things that can cause excessive consumption. Usually you will find several contributing factors. Valve seals are not a simple little job either. Essentially, you will be tearing down the head while its mounted on the block. Are you seeing blue smoke? You should using a Qt/300 miles. Do you keep the level 1/2 way between the add and full lines. This really does make a big difference.

Johnny B.
I Mac Therefore I am