Thanks Curt - Where my thinking got distorted was I thought a ground was a ground - and it didn't matter if it was a ground that matched the positive.

I appreciate the explanation - very helpful!

LarryT

On 02/22/2017 7:47 PM, Curt Raymond via Mercedes wrote:
That just isn't how electricity works. The ground from one battery can't
magically make the leap to the other one, for that to work you'd have to have
the two batteries negative poles connected...
-Curt

       From: Larry Turner via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
  To: MG via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Larry Turner <l02tur...@comcast.net>
  Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2017 4:37 PM
  Subject: Re: [MBZ] Rear Window
Hello Manfred,

     I tested the battery I used and it has 12.74V.  I connected a +
wire between battery and wiring connection - did not connect a (-) wire
for negative assuming the vehicle battery and its ground should
work...  I know, it's bad to assume. ;-)

You think I should test the wire I used?  It was a pretty heavy wire -
much heavier than the wires going to the motor from the switch...

Larry