> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 21:26:33 EST
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [MBZ] Idle noise
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>

> In a message dated 2/26/2006 10:31:32 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> Lately,  now that diesel prices have died down a bit, I fixed an
> electrical
> problem,  and so on, I've been driving my 300D again, and I've noticed
> something  making a big rattling noise at idle, from the engine
> compartment.
>
> That's not really new, of course - what is, is that the  noise goes away
> if I
> turn the steering wheel either direction enough to  "feel" the wheels
> turn.
>
> Any idea what might be making it quiet down  when I do that, and how I can
> make it be quiet all the time instead of just  when I turn the wheels?
>

> Stuart,
>
> I would bet it is a loose power steering pump.  There should be 3  bolts
> holding it to the bracket.  Or maybe a loose pulley
>
> Regards,
>
> Jim  Friesen
> Phoenix AZ
> 79 300SD, 262 K miles
> 98 ML 320, 140 K  miles
Thanks to Jim and John for a perfectly good diagnosis - my PS pump is in
fact *quite* loose (I think partially due to a good soaking in oil from
having a loose and then detached vacuum pump... Imagine that!).

As soon as it's dry and I have some daylight at home, I'll contort enough to
tighten it up. For now, guess I'll keep driving the truck. I'd hate to have
ANOTHER engine-mounted pump fall off.

        Stuart S.