Andrew and others,

I posted some photos of a W126 armrest cover so you could see how they’re
constructed and held together.  I assume the W123 cover is similar.

When you look at the pictures, take note that on one edge of the cover there is
a plastic strip with a “U” in it stitched to one side of the seam.  On the
opposite side, the material has a nylon strip stitched into it.  These two
interlock to hold the cover together at this point.

When you remove or replace the cover, you have to exert some force on the cover
to disengage the strip from the U channel and the cover comes off.  You have to
do the reverse when installing.

The slot where the armrest cover goes over the support or pivot rod for the
armrest is stitched up nicely.  The opposite side of the cover has the hole in
it for the plastic trim ring and release button, which can be easily pried off
the armrest when it’s removed.

It’s a pretty straightforward job once you understand how it’s held together.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/614ph7kqlxdrsxy/AAAFlgnl2BNS0LM4dcnDUtmEa?dl=0

-D