In a message dated 2/27/2006 1:35:17 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Yes, I  do see the smoke and do not keep the oil level above the midway mark
between  Add and Max.  I usually let it drop to the Add mark or slightly below
 before I add 1 or 2 quarts.  I'll check it the next day and usually it's
nearly exactly at the middle of the add/max.

Luther,

Another possibility, easily checked, would be a cracked diaphragm on the
vacuum pump. the vacuum pump would then be pulling oil from the  chain area and
blowing it, unseen, into the intake.   Just take  the line that goes from the
vacuum pump to the intake manifold and put it in a  can or bottle for a couple
days.  There should be zero oil in there.

Contrary to some opinions, the turbo engines do present a vacuum to the
valve guides quite often.  Whenever you are idling or coasting down  there will
be
negative pressure there however slight.  If a seal has popped  off the guide
it will definitely leak oil.

Air pressure is not needed to change the seals on our diesels.   With the
appropriate piston at top dead center, the valves can only  drop about 1mm or
so.
 The threaded valve stems make it easy to remove  the spring for servicing
the seals  I have replaced valve springs and seals  on a 240D in a couple hours.

Just some random thoughts.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ