Or you could just jack up the engine to change the hose.

Dan Penoff via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
March 7, 2017 at 5:49 PM
At the end of the weekend I had everything buttoned up on the 300SEL but the poor idle, which I suspected was the result of the broken carbon pin in the distributor cap that I had MacGuyvered with a carbon brush I fabricated into a new pin.

Today a new Bosch rotor and distributor cap arrived. Installed them and still had a rough idle.

I grabbed my spark plug pliers and started pulling wires one at a time to see if it had any effect on the idle. #2 did nothing when removed. I swapped the wire to #2 with the wire for #1 and tested again. Sure enough, the lack of effect followed the wire.

So I ordered a set of Beru wires from Amazon. They’ll be here on Thursday. I expect to be working from home on Friday, so I should be able to pop them on in short order. I’ll have the new spark plug wire gutter and cover from the dealer by then, too, so everything will be dressed up nicely.

AC is still making ice cubes at (poor) idle. Nice.

The engine is sitting so low in the engine compartment due to the collapsed mounts that I can’t get to the hose clamps on the low pressure power steering lines that are leaking at the connection to the cooler. I guess that means the first job this weekend will be installing the new motor mounts.

-D