I put in my go to: Molykote BR2 gun grease. Never had any problems with it. better than factory grease. Synthetic base with moly added.

Dan--- via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com>
March 15, 2017 at 10:06 AM
300SEL rumbles starting around 50 mph, definitely perceptible by 65. You can even slightly feel it in your seat, too.

I'm thinking center support bearing, but I'm also wondering if the inner CV joint that has a cracked boot could be doing it, too? There is still grease in the joint/boot and it doesn't make noise or sound "grindy" if you move it around.

On that same subject, I've got a split boot I'm going to put on it this weekend - what kind of grease should I use to load it up before I close everything up? I know it lost a little bit of grease when the boot cracked, as I can see where it flung it on the bottom of the car.

I've got a tube of Mobil 1 chassis grease. Could I use that?

-D