And don't forget to CHANGE YOUR FUSES

--FT

On 3/21/17 7:59 PM, Scott Ritchey via Mercedes wrote:
Many fuses are downstream of switches and  get power only when certain
switch configurations are set.  F1, for example should only get power when
the light switch in park or headlight OR with the light switch in left or
right standing AND the ignition switch in off or acc.

You really need to look at pp 104-105 (power distribution) of the ETM and
identify specific circuits that fail to get power even with the switches set
right.  Power or no-power at any fuse doesn't indicate anything unless you
know the switch settings.

Basically, ALL of the power (except starter) comes into the light switch
first and most of it is fed from there to the ignition switch via two wires.
But there is also one wire from the light switch hot feed to the fuse box
fuses 2 and (I think) 6 that should be powered at all times; this wire it
also powers the windows through a relay.  Fuse 2 is supposed to power turn
signals (among many other things).  The two (a and b) window fuses should
only be powered if the window relay is powered through fuse 12 (ignition
switch in run or start).

Hope this helps.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mercedes [mailto:mercedes-boun...@okiebenz.com] On Behalf Of
Curley McLain via Mercedes
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 6:20 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Cc: Curley McLain <126die...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] 240D 123 Lucas gremlins

Yes. I am glad it is a 123.  The weirdness continues anyhow.   The top
row of fuses: 1,3,5,7,... and window fuses a and b on the left side, all
have no
juice, switch on, according to the meter.  Some of them are for headlights
and
tail lights, but weirdly, the headlights and taillights
work, but the turn signals don't.   I checked this with a good digital
meter, black on engine, red probing fuse contacts.  Bottom fuses (Even
numbers) and fses c, d, on the right, all showed 12.13V.

Switch?  Wire from switch?   Headlights are unswitched...but they work.

That was my first thought, but no amount of wiggling could create a closed
circuit, where generally with a bad switch, the contact can be made by
wiggling
the key, or switching on, off, or wiggling key counterclockwise.

The list being sure it was a ground, I tried there second.

Randy Bennell via Mercedes <mailto:mercedes@okiebenz.com> March 21,
2017 at 4:51 PM Aren't you glad it is a simple car? Could be a whole
lot worse on a newer vehicle.

RB

Curley McLain <mailto:126die...@gmail.com> March 21, 2017 at 4:35 PM
Y'all may remember a couple weeks ago I posted about the electrical
gremlins in the 240D (81)

The thing acts like it is possessed by the prince of darkness (Lucas)
not designed by MB/Bosch

These circuits all went out at the same time:
Gas gauge
temp gauge
turn signals (4 ways work)
both window circuits
heater blower

Today I dug into the cluster and loosened and tightened the chassis
grounds behind the cluster.

It resulted in no change.

I left the switch on in the process so if bad contact was made good, I
would hear the blower or other circuits working.  There was nothing.

Where to look next?  Either there is a bad feed to multiple circuits
in the fusebox or bad ground that affects all these circuits.

I'll head out with a meter to be sure all are getting juice, but my
thinking is still that I am chasing a bad ground somewhere.  It does
not appear to be the grounds  behind the cluster.

--FT
Winston Churchill:
“Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or
petty,
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense.
Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the
enemy.”