Our 64 and 67 all window vans both had the wall. The 70 had the gap to walk through. A girlfriend's 62 panel van with just the window in the rear hatch also had the wall. I think that in those early years the wall was standard. It is possible that after the redesign in 68 with the big front window that the walk through was made the standard at least over here but I don't know enough about the history of it all to say for sure. At the same time the roof vent system in the front was changed and the placement of the heater and vent control was moved to the dash which allowed the floor to be flat from front to back. Before that the heater control was in the center under the front of the bench seat.

Mountain Man via Mercedes wrote:
Same front seat arrangement on my 74 transporter in Denver - we had a
wall behind the front bench.  For a transporter, the wall behind front
bench was a seemingly rare arrangement? - the BAT dealer-parts vehicle
of course needs a wall behind the front bench, whereas most
transporters I see have passage from front to back between front
seats.  My 74 transporter was a wonderful vehicle to my memory.
tin.tin