Today a VIN coded key arrived, it works just fine in the doors and trunk, but
only partially turns the ignition. The new key turns the ignition further than
any other MB key, so I think it's the right key.

Either the cylinder / lock is broken by the attempt to steal the car, or
because the entire lock assembly has been broken nearly free of the steering
column, the steering lock is preventing it from n turning.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have some time to explore further.
--
Max Dillon
Charleston SC