That is the valve in the back. I have rebuilt the one in my TD and it has been working fine for over 5 years now. The big thing to remember, if you can find a kit, is you need to indelibly mark the position of the arm that connects to the link from the sway bar on the shaft going into the pump. You can figure out where it should be positioned from the manual diagrams but it's a royal pain and if you are in any way mechanically/ spatially challenged in the slightest then you may never get it where it should be. The factory almost certainly had jigs to set this. Don't ask.

The kit from Mercedes is 000-586-00-32 and shows as available for $40-$50 depending on how good a relationship you have with your parts man.

Manfred
Not mechanically or spatially challenged, just lazy and I'll deny I ever reveled this.

Karl Wittnebel via Mercedes wrote:
85 tdt settles after shutting it off. Is that the pump, or the little valve
in back? I put the better looking guts of the two pumps I had back into the
head when it went on, so thought maybe the pump needing attention.

Thanks.